Netball is a great game. It’s fun. It keeps you fit. It helps you meet people.
When you’re playing netball it doesn’t matter if you’re old, young, fat, thin, tall, short, black, white, Christian, Muslim etc. Like a lot of sports, when you’re playing the only thing that matters is the game.
If you’re female and grew up in the UK then the chances are you played netball at school. Perhaps that was a good experience, or maybe not!
To tell the truth, I didn’t really like netball when I was at school. It was okay, but as a short, fairly unfit kid I didn’t enjoy any PE. However, as an adult I was looking for a way to get back into shape after having kids. I found going to the gym or jogging incredibly boring. So I tried going back to netball. And I fell in love with it.
- If you want to keep fit then netball is a really fun way to do that. You get a great cardiovascular workout.
- Being outside in the fresh air is good for your mental and physical health.
- It’s a great way to meet new friends. On the whole I’ve found netballers are a friendly bunch.
- It’s a great way to unwind. Taking your stress and frustration out on the court is way better than weeping into your pillow back home.
- Teamwork! You can’t play this game on your own. Develop awesome team cooperation skills through netball.
- For kids, it gets them out into the real world and away from screens. (Actually, that is true for adults too!)
- Improve your coordination. You will improve your hand-eye coordination in this game.
- Playing social netball can be really affordable. Lots of places will charge between £2.50 – £4 for an hour’s play and often require no membership fee. Much cheaper than a gym.
- You can play with just women if you prefer to be in an all-female sport. Or you can play mixed netball now if you want too.
Seriously, you should try out a netball session. If you want to see what netball sessions you can join in locally then check out the England Netball session finder. They have linked to netball sessions all over the UK and you should be able to find something near you.
If you want to get back into netball after a long time of not playing or even if you’re a complete beginner then look up the Back to Netball scheme. These sessions are run for women who haven’t played in ages or who are complete netball newbies. Really good fun and no judgement. This is how I got back into playing netball and I love netball now.
If you think you’re too old to play netball then think again! Walking netball is a new and wonderful way to enjoy the game. Have a look here to find out more.
You see netball really is for everyone.